Mode of payment
The fee can be paid in any of the following modes favouring DIRECTOR GENERAL, CCRUM , NEW DELHI:
2. Demand Draft
3. Banker cheque
4. Indian Postal Order
Disposal of request
1. In cases information is sought concerning life or liberty, it is to be given in 48 hours.
2. Reply in other cases to be given in 30 days.
3. 5 days to be added if the application is received through SAPIO.
4. In case of third party 40 days.
1. Appeals lie at two levels.
2. First appeal within department/ organization to senior officer to State Public Information Officer within 30 days.
3. Second appeal before Central Information Commission within 90 days.
4. Appeals to be decided within 30 days.
Third Party Information
1. Where information about third party is sought by the applicant, a notice will be given to third party to present his case within 5 days.
2. An opportunity of hearing will be given within 10 days.
3. Third party will have right to appeal.
Exemption from disclosure of information :
As per section 8 the following type of information shall not be obligatory to be given.
1. Concerning security and integrity of India.
2. Forbidden to be published by the court of law.
3. Disclosure of which leads to breach of privilege of Parliament/Assembly.
4. Commercial confidence trade secrets and intellectual property.
5. Information received in fiduciary relationship.
6. Information received in confidence from foreign government.
7. Disclosure of which may endanger life and liberty.
8. Which impedes the process of a investigation.
9. Cabinet Papers including record or deliberation.
10. Personal information which has no relationship to any public activity.
11. Leads to infringement of copyright.
1. Can impose penalty @ Rs. 250/- for each day of delay subject to a maximum of Rs. 25,000/-.
2. Can issue directions for disciplinary action against PIO in cases of persistent default.
3. Opportunity of hearing to be given.
Need for prompt attention
1. All Officer and staff members need to be sensitized to pay proper attention to this act.
2. Necessary preparatory measures for implementation should be completed as per prescribed schedule in the Act.
3. Officials need to be vigilant in disposal of requests received under the Act.
4. All requests received under the Act need to be dealt within time frame prescribed.
Other Important Points
1. Assistant Public Information Officer can receive applications for any PIO.
2. First Appellate Authority should be senior to PIO.
3. PIO should be senior officers who should be able to control work and dig out information as they have to perform a quasi judicial information.
4. Clear demarcation of work should be done amongst the PIO and Appellate Authorities to avoid confusion.
5. Notify the substantially financed bodies to bring them under the purview of RTI.
Other Important Points
1. Arrangements for receipt of application & fee should be suitably be made to facilitate the work.
2. Information counters should be setup near reception counters.
3. The APIO/PIO/Appellate Authority should be easily accessible to public.
4. Board depicting room number etc of PIO/APIO should be available at the main entrance.
Role of Secretaries /HODs/CEOs
1. Appoint PIO/APIO
2. Appoint first appellate authority.
3. Identify bodies substantially financed to be brought under the purview of the act.
4. Give wide publicity about the provisions of the act.
5. Organize internal workshops for sensitization of officers and staff.
6. Ensure proper arrangements for receipt of application/fee etc.
7. Provide requisite number of counters for guidance.
8. Prepare SUO MOTU information and disseminate to the maximum.
9. Monitor and control the working of all concerned officers.